Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Back from the real world..

So I've had some personal issues these last few weeks and haven't had a chance to post much unfortunately. For good news, I decided to go ahead and officially advertise my pet-sitting business. So I ordered a bunch of business cards and created a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/EmbarkPetCare

My goal is to have one of a kind business where I can educate the owners about nutritional aspect of pet care as well as possible alternative means to managing health issues that I often come across such as allergies, hot spots, ear infections, etc. At some point I would like to expand it into in home boarding facility and have a small retail space that specializes in natural foods, supplements, and few other pet care items.

As far as other things I've had on my mind lately is the issues of dental health. I noticed that a lot of people are far more concerned with the outward appearance of their pets (dogs especially) and spend a significant chunk of money on grooming and making their dog look and smell pretty on the outside, with no regard to their internal health. The other day we had a cocker spaniel come for a monthly groom. He was probably around 14 and pretty old, but still alive and kicking. Out of curiosity, I decided to check his teeth and was completely horrified. They were brown and rotting, the gums were so inflamed, they glowed red and the breath was pretty terrible as well.
I don't know if you've ever had a toothache, you know that it hurts, enough to ruin your whole day. Can you imagine walking around with a mouthful of rotten and sore teeth? I cant.
Yet, the owners would rather spend $60 a month on a groom to make their dog look good, then save up for few months and get him a dental that would not only better his quality of life, but extend it as well.

Considering how many options there are out there as far as keeping our pets healthy, there is no excuse. If the dog hates having its teeth brushed, there are dental gels and sprays such as petzlife or leba that work really well for finicky dogs. In addition raw meaty bones are excellent for keeping those chompers nice and clean, plus other hard chew like bully sticks and antlers.
Dentals are not cheap and often, it poses an anesthesia risk to older pets, but thats why its absolutely essential to stay on top when it comes to dental health of your pet. Its easy to put it off , but it will come at a cost later on which can compromise the quality of life for your pet.

I'm pretty hyper vigilant when it comes to Uno's teeth. He gets RMB's every other day and I brush his teeth usually once a week. He also likes his antlers. I am proud to say that he has pretty good teeth for a 6 year old, no plaque build up and gums are pink and healthy. He has a bit of yellow staining which is normal and comes with age, so I'm not worried about it. I know that those few minutes a week can and will greatly improve his life, especially as he ages.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your business start up! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that if I hadn't been here, nobody would have noticed either Sasha or Juneau's broken teeth. Juneau's was bad enough it needed to be pulled, which was quite costly. But it's a ton better than letting it rot and possibly costing the life of the dog instead of a couple hundred dollars.

    It really is sad how people don't care about their dog's actual health, just how it looks.

    ReplyDelete