Saturday, May 12, 2012

Considering new rotation addition

So I've been looking into incorporating more dry food choices into Uno's rotation and I've been mainly using dogfoodadvisor.com as a reference. I've already tried several 5 star kibbles, including acana, totw, wellness core, orijen, BB wilderness, dogswell, earthborn, NV instinct and pinnacle.

I'm pretty happy with Acana, but I wont be able to get a good discount since leaving work and anything besides the chicken formula, is out of my budget.
So I've come across horizon legacy fish formula on sale at petflow.com http://www.petflow.com/product/horizon/horizon-adult-grain-free-salmon-dry-dog-food

its on sale $50, plus I found an $8 off coupon which came out to $47 for 25 lbs, shipped.

I've tried their chicken formula before and Uno has done pretty well on it, but there's not a lot of retailers that sell it, so I moved onto other brands.
I'm pretty impressed with the ingredient list, its comparable to Acana Pacifica, except that Horizon used pea starch as a binder instead of potatoes. Peas are a low glycemic carb source, so it's a better choice for dogs with ear infections and yeast issues. Uno doesn't have either one, but regardless, if I had to chose, I would pick peas over potatoes.

Ingredients:

Salmon, salmon meal, peas, pea starch, menhadon meal, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea fibre, alfalfa, flaxseed, liquid egg product, carrots, apples, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, blueberries, salt, fructooligosaccharides, yucca schidigera extract, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulphate, dried saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, pineapple, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, dried rhizopus oryzae fermentation extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, magnesium oxide.


This particular formula is 34% protein, 15% fat and 8.6% ash. 


The company is located in Saskatchewan, Canada and similar to Champion (maker of Oriejen/Acana), they only use locally sourced ingredients. They have their own plant and produce several varieties of dry foods which include grain free and grain inclusive varieties. 

I'll update on this food once Uno is done with this bag of Acana, but I'm hoping that I can keep this in our rotation because it looks like a good choice for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment