Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Whats for dinner?

So tonight he's having venison, beef liver, whole egg, salmon oil and this new supplement I just got called Wellytails mighty phytonutrients (greens mix).



So, about this supplement. I've had Uno on solid gold seameal, but I'm not overly happy with ambiguous ingredient list. Which just lists seaweed meal as the first ingredient, and not specifying the type of seaweed.
I found this new supplement while flipping through the new animal wellness magazine. The company is located in canada and I'm impressed not only with the ingredients but also how its processed:

Ingredients: Barley Grass Powder, Ground Whole Chia Seed, Apple, Carrot, Alfalfa Leaf, Green Cabbage, Celery, Red Tomatoes, Sweet Potato, Atlantic Sea Kelp, Microencapsulated Fish Oil (source of EPA & DHA Omega-3), Chicory Inulin, Blueberry, Cranberry, Tart Red Cherry, Broccoli, Pumpkin, Spinach, Vitamin & Mineral Premix Blend

I decided to start adding a greens mix because Uno loves to eat grass and lately he's been very obsessively eating it, especially when we go for walk, he just attacks the grass that grows by the side of the road. And since I dont want him ingesting grass contaminated with exhaust fumes and god knows what else, I'm hoping this is a better option.
Its not cheap, but not extremely expensive, $25 for 45 day supply for a dog Uno's size (60 lbs), I've looked at other green mixes and a lot of them contain brewers yeast which Uno is allergic to along with mystery seaweed.

Overall Uno is pretty healthy with occasionally funky morning breath, so I dont expect any miraculous benefits after adding this supplement, but i'll be happy if he stops craving all that grass.
I myself take a similar supplement called Green Vibrance which is pretty awesome, I noticed that when I take it, I never get sick with a cold or flu and its a great immune booster.
This type of supplement is a good addition to any dogs diet, but particularly those that are immuno-compromised, aging or recovering from or fighting an illness.

I will update on any changes after a month of use, but if you're interested, you can check out the company yourself



5 comments:

  1. That's interesting. Chia seeds (ch-ch-ch-chia!) seems to be one of those "it" health things right now. Funny how the it things end up in stuff for pets, not just humans.
    Looking forwards to hearing how it does! I'm on the fence about adding something like this to Conker's diet, but since I am going to be doing some kibble trials soon, I will put off trying one out until those are over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I guess it can be hit and miss especially for dogs with sensitivities. Couple years ago I bought some spirulina tabs on sale at wal-mart out of all places (I know, what was I thinking?), Uno had an awful reaction and I thought for sure it was the seaweed.

    But he has no issues with this or the solid gold seameal, so I think it was something else in that. I'm hoping this will be a good immuno booster since he's prone to contact allergies during summer time which can make him miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of fish oil is used in the stuff I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure, but I send them an email, so I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I got a reply from them

    Dear...

    We use a blend of sustainable harvest wild fish oil purchased from Ocean Nutrition in Canada.

    You can Google the supplier to learn more.

    ReplyDelete