Monday, March 19, 2012

Change in the game plan

So its with a heavy heart I must semi-retire from raw. When we first started, I was able to find some good finds on craigslist/freecycle for cheap and free meats, but the last 2 months we've had zero responses even after multiple posts. When I first began feeding raw, I told myself that this is just an experiment, I will continue to feed it as long as I can afford it. So its come down to this.

I've contacted processing plants, butcher shops, restaurant suppliers without much success, even buying in bulk is just as expensive as buying from a grocery store. I will still have access to free venison during hunting season through a local processing plant.

While Uno has done well on raw, he's always done well on good quality kibble, with couple exceptions. His teeth are cleaner on raw and his poop is smaller. I myself eat a pretty balanced diet, I cook a lot, I try to eat fresh fruits/veggies and occasionally eat processed food. I love my dog but I dont think its a fair that he should be eating better then me. I can continue to feed raw, but if I want to keep it within my budget, he would only be getting, chicken and turkey. I know that from the past, not feeding enough red meat always takes a toll on his coat and energy levels.

So my plan is this:

1) Kibble in the morning (rotate between acana wild prarie, pacifica and grasslands, possibly add some other grain frees but I'm pretty happy with acana as a whole)

2) Raw at night - this will mostly be turkey necks, wings, beef heart, chicken, liver and kidney.

3) Keep the same supplements as I did while on raw- fresh free range eggs, salmon oil and green mix supplement (currently using solid gold seameal, but just ordered this supplement so will update on it later http://www.wellytails.com/Mighty-Phytonutrients-plus-Vitamins-Minerals-454-grams_p_18.html

Another big bonus for me is that I recently started working at a dog bakery and since we carry some holistic foods, I get a pretty good discounts on any food I want and /or supplements.

I understand that some raw feeders will look down on this decision and tell me to just keep feeding chicken/turkey and keep it raw, but I know my dog better then anyone else, so I know exactly whats best for him. That's one of the reasons I don't side with certain raw feeders that are super fanatic about their feeding choices. I've been to that side and while I share the passion, I would never put someone down for feeding their pets commercial food. Raw is not for everyone, and I'd much rather see someone feed a quality kibble then imbalanced raw resulting in severe nutrient deficiencies.

I will keep you updated on his progress and if I noticed any negative changes going back to kibble.

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I'd love to exchange links or get you to do a guest post on my website! Just let me know! Site Asheville

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say nothin negative about it, my other two dogs eat kibble. (well, technically they aren't mine...) I am not opposed to feeding kibble or commercial, I'd just rather, if financially possible, not. It doesn't help that I haven't found a kibble that Conker can consistently eat (Orijen, Acana, TOTW, are out) and the other non-kibble commercial foods cost about the same or more than what he currently gets. I could afford to feed Conker Orijen, it does cost a little less than the current raw and cooked foods, but due to his bad reaction to it, no thanks.

    I'm not a rawfoodist-fanatic (you probably know that already), I just prefer to know exactly what my dog is eating, and I find it immensely fun to prepare meals for him every day.
    A couple people have tried the RAW FOODS ONLY OR YOUR DOG WILL DIE! crap on me (feeding grains is the biggest "controversy" I do, that I am aware of) and get a face full of scientific studies that back what I do.

    Anywho, I hope Uno continues to stay in good shape! My two kibble-fed dogs are in great shape compared to when they ate crap kibble and really, it costs about the same to feed them Taste of the Wild over Pedigree since there is more energy per cup in TOTW so they eat less of it than Pedicrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, so far he's had no digestive issues going back, although he's pooping more now. Does conker have allergies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe? I have never had him tested, but he reacts to cooked chicken like he has one. Excessive shedding and itching, red skin, nasty digestive problems, etc.
    He is also intolerant to wheat, corn, some oils, white potatoes (prepared certain ways), and a few other things. Intolerances are different from allergies, since it's just a digestive thing and doesn't cause any of the other symptoms. Still, I have to avoid a lot of commercial items because of them, even high-quality kinds due to the potato thing. Some types he's okay with (dehydrated), but others not (whole in kibble), so I generally avoid them. That's why with him, grain-free isn't always the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that makes sense, I cant feed any food with yeast in it, it makes Uno itch, he gets eye discharge and bad breath. That seems to be the only thing that sets him off, plus couple contact/environmental allergies, but its greatly subsided since I stopped giving him booster shots, just rabies every 3 years.
    Have you tried Nutrisca? its potato and grain free, they have lamb and salmon formulas:
    Ingredients: Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal, Peas, Chickpeas, Salmon Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Eggs, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Carrots, Cranberries, Apricots, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Proteinate, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract.

    I often recommend this food for diabetic dogs or those with allergies or frequent ear infections due to low glycemic index.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, I haven't tried that yet. I don't have a very good selection of foods in my town, but if I see it someplace, I'll probably give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think here you can get it at pet supermarket, but I've always ordered food online because its often the same or less then petstores like mrchewy.com

    ReplyDelete