Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I may have finally caught a break

I started feeding Uno raw in October of 2011 and the first couple weeks, I got about 200 lbs of free meat off craigslist. That's pretty much what he's mostly been eating this whole time, but were are running low. I repost on craigslist as well as freecycle on regular basis, but I dont know whether its the economy or what, but nobody has replied to me in few weeks.

There are only 2 Asian markets in Asheville and both sell gifts and snack type food. There is one very overpriced butcher that sells organic/free range meat. Couple local stores that I found that sell turkey necks, liver, kidney and heart are all very expensive. I couldn't believe it when I saw that turkey necks were over $3 per lb! crazyness.

So I've expanded my search quite a bit and found a meat mart in nearby city, about 25 mins away that seems to have a good variety for a great price. I called today and they have turkey necks for $.99 per lb and beef liver for $1.39 per lb, so I plan on going there in couple weeks and stocking up for sure.

I even organized yahoo raw feeding group and few people joined, but nobody actually posted anyting.. sigh.. oh well, maybe things will perk up with time and I can organize a co-op.

3 comments:

  1. I'm having a tough time sourcing some stuff here in Southern Oregon. I'm surrounded by farms, but can't get any of the oddities! How strange is that? There's also no ethnic markets at all, and driving to Medford (closest "big city") costs at least $25 so that's out unless another trip is planned.
    There is a butcher here, and they do process farm animals and game, but they don't advertise the oddities and it's a very nice place so I am very reluctant to ask them for cheap-o scraps and refuse like organs. Also, if they do sell that stuff, I want to make it worth their while and buy in bulk but I have no chest freezer to do so!
    It's quite obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm pretty hesitant about asking butchers since I've heard that they sometimes refuse to sell something if they know its going to the dogs. I guess just dont mention it, say you're making an ethnic meal for your host family ;)

    Another thing you could do is find a processing plant and get a license to haul any "inedibles".

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm here in asheville and trying to source cheaper meats for my dogs. i have 5 of them! so it's pretty expensive!

    i've been doing blue ridge beef in bulk 30# cases each for their chicken w/bone, turkey w/bone, venison w/bone, quail w/bone and their fatty beef and the organ blend. they just did a 25% price increase so i'm trying to source cheaper options for some of them.

    i'm considering getting a grinder and grinding my own poultry w/bone but need a cheap source. i can't do whole RMBs with the 5 because i have to feed them in different rooms and hard to keep an eye on them.

    ReplyDelete