Friday, February 10, 2012

Dog treats, what are your favorites?




I'm fairly selective when it comes to buying treats for my dog, its cannot contain any byproducts, corn or soy. I will occasionally natural biscuits which are mostly made of wheat, since he doesent have wheat allergy, I think its fine in moderation.

I ordered some new Innova grain free prime treats, these are pretty cool. They are 36% protein, grain free and contain good quality ingredients:

beef, peas, lamb meal, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), pea fiber, alfalfa sprouts, apples, carrots, cottage cheese, flaxseed, calcium carbonate, pumpkin, betaine hydrochloride, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, beta carotene, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, vitamin E supplement and rosemary extract





One of the biggest challenges when it comes to grain free treats is finding something that's not potato based. So I'm fairly happy with these treats and so Uno.

Some of our other favorites include:

1) Dehydrated liver and lung
2) Lakse Kronch
3) Blue Dog Bakery
4) Zukes
5) Sittin' pretty
6) 3 dog bakery

What are your favorite treats??

4 comments:

  1. My favorite treats are by far Zuke's. Conker loves them and they are easy to carry around and don't make a huge mess. I'm not really a fan of the biscuit types (but I'll still buy them when on sale) and tend to stick with the moist ones. Plus the grains they use don't bother Conker, so I am okay with them not being grain-free.

    I also like Grizzly NuTreats, which are basically entirely salmon with a couple other ingredients and no grains or potatoes. It's a biscuit type but is more crumbly so I don't use them for training.

    Another one I thought was okay were the EVO Wild Cravings Herring treats. They can actually be used as a food since they have all the vitamins and minerals, but again I only used them as an occasional snack.

    And then there's freeze-dries treats. 100% meat, which are really my favorite but due to the crumblyness of some of them, I don't carry them around for hiking and such. A bit on the expensive side but seeing as you get a ton of treats per ounce, they are mostly worth it. I found a site (was posted on Dogster a while ago) that was giving out free samples of their treats, which if I ever see in a store will probably buy some. They still give out free samples on their site.
    http://wholelife.lsw.com/page.php?PageID=2250&PageName=Consumer+contact+form

    Some I've wanted to try are made by companies that make raw foods, but the only ones I can find here are made by Stella and Chewy's and they are muchos expensive, moreso than most other places I've seen them so I have yet to actually try them.

    Anyways, I normally avoid cooked chicken, wheat, corn, soy, vegetable oils, and potatoes. He can have some types of taters and in small quantities but for the most part, if it's got potatoes in it, I can usually assume he won't react well to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I also use the EVO treats, these innova ones are pretty similar, just lower protein. I dont feed biscuit type treats too often because they are so high calorie, maybe once every couple weeks.
    Do you ever shop at entirely pets? they had this black friday deal, $1 for a 4 oz tub of freeze dried liver. Since dry liver is pretty light weight, theres actually a good amount in that container.
    http://www.entirelypets.com/grnpetliverbits4oz.html

    I'm always on the lookout for pet bargains online, I found this awesome deal yesterday, 40% off pet supplies, they actually have some grain free treats on there if youre interested. I bought like 10 toys and 10 packs of treats all for $33
    http://pets.13deals.com/

    these are the treats I ordered (they also had some organic biscuit treats)
    http://pets.13deals.com/product_detail.php?id=21939

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those links! I'll keep an eye on them. And yeah, I love good deals. I recently bought some Ruff Wear packs for something like 50% off for my bigger dogs, which for that brand, is basically stealing.
    I almost never pay full price for something. If I can't find it locally for cheap, I'll wait until I see a good deal online.

    I like this site for some types of gear:
    http://www.geartrade.com/browse/dog-packs-and-accessories#b
    I've got my eye on the leashes and bed. The longer you wait the lower the price goes, but someone else might grab it before you do. That's the trade off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, I havent bought anything at chain pet store in years, went to Petsmart the other day and was shocked how overpriced everything is. I can get same things online for at least 1/2 price plus free shipping. Even things like pet food are sometimes as much as $20 cheaper online with free ship over $50, and you dont need to carry heavy bags.
    I love geartrade too :) Thats where I got Unos ruffwear pack for $37, it was practically new, I think someone tried it on once and returned it.

    ReplyDelete