Thursday, February 14, 2013

Celebrating V-day, raw food edition

Since I work at a pet boutique part time, I get to take home things that have "expired" or have a best by date. Most of them are dried goods like treats and dry food, which is still fine to feed 3-4 months past that date. 
Yesterday I was sorting out the freezer and found few raw food items that were expiring this month. Of course if you're a raw feeder you'll know that it's completely fine to feed expired raw as long as it's been frozen, even if it's 2-3 years passed its sell by date. Normally the store owner will take raw for her own dogs (she runs a rescue), but since they cannot have bones or chicken. I scored 5 lbs of NV instinct chicken raw mix,  primal turkey necks and marrow bones. I'm not a fan of marrow bones since they can crack teeth, but neither of my dogs are aggressive chewers. I usually let them lick out the marrow and lightly gnaw on them before tossing them. The turkey necks always come in handy, they love those things. 

I also got 3 canisters of Instinct raw daily boost which is essentially dehydrated meat powder with added vitamins and veggies. Here's what the lamb one looks like:

Lamb, Lamb Heart, Lamb Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Apples, Carrots, Ground Lamb Bone, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove.


It's very high protein, so I add a tablespoon mixed in with the raw food few times a week for extra nutrients. Not something I would buy since it's like $25 a pop. 

In other news, I will probably be switching Indy back to Instinct dry, he's done very well on it, he will still get raw few times a week for variety and dental benefits. The last couple months he's been eating Holistic Select grain free. While it's a decent food and it seemed to help with his allergies, I don't think it has enough fat in it. I noticed an increase in dandruff and more itching which was due to having dry winter skin. Even though he gets salmon oil almost daily, he was still getting dandruff. He had the most fabulous coat on Instinct Salmon and loved the taste. The only downside is that it's pretty expensive, since I get a discount at work, it's doable now, but I don't think I can afford it once I leave. So I'm still trying to find the perfect food for him that's affordable, grain free and won't give him the runs. 


The mini score from today:


1 comment: